Like wearing a helmet when you ride a bike or putting a lock on your locker, insurance is a form of risk management that you may never need but you'll be glad you have if something bad happens.

In the case of health insurance, the insurer covers the cost of eligible unexpected medical treatments, x - rays, and medicines.Like any contract, it is important to read your guard.me policy and understand specifically what is covered and what is not.

Whether it's a sprained ankle or life-threatening injury or illness, one in 10 students will suffer a "serious safety or health incident" while studying abroad, according to a 2009 study at one major North American university.

No one ever expects to get sick or experience a serious health hazard. That’s why insurance is important to have in place before you head off to study or work at an international educational institution. It’s one less thing to worry about.

You may have medical or other health coverage at home, but most plans do not include coverage outside of your home country. That’s important to know because health care can get very expensive, very quickly, when you are abroad. For example:

  • One visit to the doctor and a prescription can cost €150.
  • Visiting a hospital emergency room can result in a €1000 charge .
  • Being hospitalized can cost you up to €3,200 per day.
  • Staying in a hospital for 10 days can easily cost €35,000. So, paying a little now can save you a lot of money and stress if something goes wrong later.

guard.me is designed specifically to meet the needs of the international education marketplace. Eligible applicants include:

  • International Students
  • Study Abroad
  • Teachers
  • School Faculty and Staff
  • Exchange Programs and Camps
  • Co-ops, Internships and Work Projects, Work and Study
  • Trainees
  • Dependants and Immediate Family Members when the student is also insured

Once you apply and pay online, you will receive confirmation from us that your application has been processed and approved when we email you your paid invoice and ID Card.

If you applied online, you will receive an automatic email after you complete the online application. The email will include information on how to login to your guard.me account to access your ID card and policy details.

If you applied through your school, you will need to check with your school to receive your ID Card, or check your school's email account.

Yes, you can apply for your dependents. Certain restrictions apply, please refer to the policy wording for eligibility requirements.

While some plans may be cancelled, others may have some restrictions. Please contact your school and/or agent or refer to the policy wording for more details.

The benefits provided by our insurance are available to everyone attending, or accompanying someone attending, an Academic course.

There is no minimum age. Cover is not available to any person aged 70 years and over at the commencement of the Period of cover


You can log in to your account to find your policy number or check your guard.me ID card.

In the event of an emergency, we are ready to assist you 24-hours-a-day. Please click here for emergency Assistance numbers.

You must submit a fully completed Claim Form in order for us to pay for your expenses. The Claim Form must clearly state why you went to the doctor. If there is no indication of why you saw the doctor, your claim cannot be processed. You must also include all original receipts or bills for your expenses. You may want to keep a photocopy for your records, but we must receive the originals. Please click here to submit your claim online.

Please complete the Claim Form and submit as soon as possible.

No, for minor emergencies you do not need to call. Just complete the Claim Form including your policy number and date of birth, making sure to tell us why you saw the doctor, and either submit online or send it in with the original bills or receipts.

If you have paid for the medical services yourself then you are responsible for submitting your claim. Please click here for online claims submission.

The piece of paper showing the charges for your treatment and any payments made that the doctor or hospital gives you at the time of your visit is your original.

IMPORTANT: for prescription medications (the kind that you get from the Pharmacist at the back counter in a pharmacy or drug store) you must have the receipt.


For any outpatient treatment (where you are not admitted into hospital) or minor illness or injury (excluding fractures) you should pay for the treatment and submit a claim.

If you suffer any serious illness or accident which may lead to your admission to hospital before any plans are made for repatriation or if you need to curtail your trip you must contact us. The emergency number is open 24/7 for advice and will be able to assist in arranging repatriation and settling medical expenses directly with the treating facility. Any treatment in a private facility is not covered unless pre-authorised. If it is not possible to make contact before any treatment happens (for any immediate emergency treatment) please call the emergency number as soon as possible.

You can speak to a doctor in minutes from the comfort of your home by going to Doctor Please! by guard.me. You may also go to a local pharmacy, walk-in clinic or doctor's office. If your condition requires a visit to the emergency room at the hospital, the doctor at the clinic will tell you. For major medical emergencies, such as broken arms / legs, accidents, or when you need to be taken to the hospital by ambulance, please go to the nearest hospital. You need to call us as soon as possible to advise us of your claim. Please click here for emergency Assistance numbers.

No, it is not necessary, but it is recommended that you have easy access to you policy number and emergency assistance number. Both can be found on your insurance certificate.


Yes. You can ask your school to request a new ID Card or you can log in to your account and print a new ID Card.

If you can't find the answer you're looking for, contact us.